Public Others Government Business Arts Community
Entertainment Lifestyle Services People Travel Internet Stuff



     Immigration - Employment Pass

Employment Pass

Seeking Employment     Permanent Residence     Student Pass


      Frequently Asked Questions


Q : "Who is eligible to apply for an Employment Pass?"
A : Any foreigner may apply for an Employment Pass to be employed or to do business in Singapore if he has acceptable tertiary/professional qualifications or his basic salary per month is above $2000. For details of the different employment passes, please see the Contact Singapore Homepage or contact the Ministry of Manpower
Employment Pass Department
10 Kallang Road
5th Storey
Singapore 208718
Tel: 1800-4385122, 2975443
Fax: 2932138


Q : If I am an Employment Pass holder, can my spouse work in Singapore?
A : If you hold an Employment Pass, your spouse is welcome to apply for either an Employment Pass or a Work Permit. Approval of your spouse's Employment Pass or Work Permit will depend on his/her on qualifications and salary. For more details, please contact:
Ministry of Manpower
Employment Pass Department
10 Kallang Road
5th Storey
Singapore 208718
Tel: 1800-4385122, 2975443
Fax: 2932138


Q : "I am a foreigner working in Singapore. How do I enrol my child in a local School in Singapore?"
A : If your child is holding a Dependant's Pass or a long-term social visit pass, you can approach the Foreign Students' Unit of the Ministry of Education for assistance. However, if your child is a permanent resident of Singapore, you can approach a school directly to seek admission.

You may also wish to surf the the Ministry of Education's website on Information for Singaporean Expatriates Seeking Admission to Singapore Schools for Their Children. It provides comprehensive write-ups on admission and re-admission procedures, placement tests and examinations etc.

Q : "Where can I obtain more information about living in Singapore?"
A : If you like further information about living in Singapore, you may wish to write to Contact Singapore at or visit Contact Singapore's website at and look up the section "Living in Singapore".


Q : "How do I go about applying for a work visa in Singapore?"
A : You need to first secure a job in Singapore. Your employer will sponsor you for an Employment Pass or Work Permit depending on your qualifications or salary. Application can be made at the Singapore Immigration & Registration. You may wish to surf the homepage of Singapore Immigration & Registration for more details.


Q : "Who is eligible to apply for Dependant's Pass?"
A : An Employment Pass holder may apply for Dependant's Passes for his wife and unmarried children under 21 years of age.


Q : "Can a Dependant's Pass holder work in Singapore?"
A : A Dependant's Pass holder is welcome to apply for either a Work Permit from the Ministry of Manpower or a Letter of Consent from the Singapore Immigration & Registration if he/she wishes to work in Singapore. To apply for a Letter of Consent, only a letter from the prospective employer, stating the job designation, nature of duties in detail, number of years of past working experience and basic monthly salary, is required.


Q : "Who are required to apply for a Professional Visit Pass?"
A : All foreigners who wish to take up a short-term professional assignment such as performing artistes, speakers and exhibitors of seminars, conference and exhibitions, or journalists are required to apply for Professional Visit Passes. However, the Professional Visit Pass may be waived for foreign speakers and exhibitor who participate in major seminars, conference and exhibitions. The application for waiver should be submitted to the Singapore Exhibition & Convention Bureau (SECB) of the Singapore Tourist Board. Please note that foreigners from countries which require entry visas are still required to apply for entry visas after they have obtained a waiver on Professional Visit Pass.

For more details on the application procedures, please also see Frequently Asked Questions on Professional Visit Pass.


Q : "I am a professional/specialist. Which Singapore agency should I write to if I wish to seek employment in Singapore?"
A : You may wish to look at our Contact Singapore website on Working in Singapore and Frequently Asked Questions on Employment for detailed information. You may also wish to get in touch with our Contact Singapore Centres overseas or write directly to:

International Manpower Division
Singapore Economic Development Board.
250 North Bridge Road
#24-00 Raffles City Tower
Singapore 179101
Tel: 3362288
Fax: 3396077

Q : "Is it possible to help me look for accommodation in Singapore?"
A : Yes. The Scheme for Housing of Foreign Talent (SHIFT) is designed to meet the short-term housing needs of foreign professionals living in Singapore. Under SHIFT, you may rent Housing and Development Board (HDB) flats at commercial rates. Contact Singapore can help you to apply for housing under SHIFT, provide you with more details on SHIFT, or general information on living in Singapore.
Q : "How can I find out about the employment opportunities in Singapore?"
A : You may wish to surf the Contact Singapore website Getting a Job as well as refer to the Job Bulletin Board in this website.
Q : "How can I find out more about terms & conditions of employment in Singapore?"
A : You can look up the Ministry of Manpower’s homepage for a list of common questions on terms & conditions of employment in Singapore. Click here for the Ministry of Manpower Homepage.
Q : "How can I find out more about companies and other employment organisations in Singapore?"
A : You can obtain information on company profiles, background and career opportunities in both the public and private sector at the Contact Singapore Homepage on Company Profile.
Q : "I am a foreigner who used to work in Singapore. I have now returned to my own country. How can I apply to withdraw my CPF contributions?"
A : If you have left Singapore and West Malaysia permanently and have no intention of returning for further employment or residence, you may apply for the withdrawal of your CPF savings.

To do so, you have to complete the CPF Withdrawal form (CPF-LM) and return it to CPF. You can make your request for the form via the internet at the CPF Homepage. For details of the application, you may wish to contact CPF at

Q : "How can I get information on the health care system in Singapore?"
A : Information on 'Overview of Singapore Health Care System' and 'Medical Financing System in Singapore' can be found at the Ministry of Health Homepage. To visit the site, please click here. For general information, you may also wish to visit the Contact Singapore Homepage on Health Care in Singapore.
Q : "How to I know if my degree from overseas is accepted for employment in Singapore?"
A : Acceptance of qualifications for employment is determined by the respective employers. There is no government authority in Singapore which accesses or grants recognition to degrees awarded by overseas universities.For more details, please see the Frequently Asked Questions on Qualifications of the Civil Service Career Homepage.


Q : "Does the Singapore Civil Service accepts overseas university qualifications for graduate appointments?"
A : For the purpose of employment in the Civil Service, the Public Service Division will accept an overseas degree as long as it is recognised or accredited by its home government. In the case of a professional qualification, it must also be acceptable for registration by the relevant professional bodies in Singapore. For more details, please see the Frequently Asked Questions on Qualifications of the Civil Service Career Homepage.

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

     News Snippets



New personalised employment pass not tied to any employer

The Ministry of Manpower will introduce a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) from 1 January 2007 to help us better attract and retain global talent...

The PEP allows the holder to remain in Singapore for up to six months in between jobs to evaluate new employment opportunities. This helps us to retain selected global talent who would otherwise have to leave Singapore...

The PEP will be issued only once with a validity of 5 years. It will be nonrenewable. A PEP holder will retain the dependant privileges of his original EP type and the minimum annual basic salary requirement of S$30,000 will continue to apply throughout the 5-year duration...