• The most popular type of gadget owned was
the handphone, with 99% of respondents owning this type of gadget. This
was followed by portable music device with 63%, digital camera with 46%,
portable game console with 18%, and PDA with 11%.
• Older respondents aged 25-29 had lower
ownership rates for portable music devices than the younger respondents.
• For portable music devices and portable
game consoles, the ownership rate decreased as age increased. For PDAs,
the opposite could be seen, the ownership rate increased as age
• 37% of respondents owned 2 out of 5
types of gadgets, followed by 31% who owned 3 out of 5. 2% of
respondents owned all 5 types of gadgets.
• The overall mean for the types of
gadgets owned by the respondents was 2.38.
• Male respondents have a higher mean
than the female respondents, 2.43 as opposed to 2.33.
• The younger the respondents, the higher
the mean number of types of gadgets owned. The mean for the 15-19 age
group was 2.49 as opposed to 2.35 and 2.31 respectively for the 20-24
and 25-29 age group.
• Across all 5 types of gadgets, the
majority of respondents bought their own gadgets.
• Across all 5 types of gadgets, price
emerged as the most important factor respondents considered when
purchasing their gadgets.
• The top 4 sources of information on
portable gadgets were:
1. Advertisements (64%)
2. Friends (63%)
3. Internet (51%)
4. Magazines (51%)
• Out of the 795 respondents who owned
handphones, Nokia had the highest share at 56% while Samsung and
Sony-Ericsson tied for second place at 16% each.
• Top 3 functions used most regularly:
1. SMS (99%)
2. Making voice calls (61%)
3. Taking pictures (58%).
• Top 5 must-have functions of handphones:
1. SMS feature (92%)
2. Still camera feature (59%)
3. MMS feature (56%)
4. Video camera feature (42%)
5. Play MP3 music (39%)
• Respondents were asked how they would
usually react when they receive a call in a social gathering. 51% of the
795 respondents would pick up the call in front of their friends and
family while 45% would go to a quiet corner to answer their call. 4%
would not pick up the call.
• 6% of the respondents owned a 3G phone.
• Amongst the respondents who owned a 3G
phone, Nokia was the most popular brand.
• Amongst these same respondents, the top
3G service provider was Singtel.
• Top 2 factors considered by respondents
when they purchased their 3G phones were:
1. 3G phones looked more attractive than 2G or 2.5G phones.
2. Friends had 3G phones.
• The most popular use of a 3G phone was
using it to access entertainment content.
• The 754 respondents who did not own a
3G phone were asked to tick all the relevant reasons why they did not
own a 3G phone. 57% said that it was because it was too expensive, 49%
said that they did not need 3G functions and 43% said that they did not
have many friends with 3G phones.
• Out of a total of 504 respondents who
owned portable music devices, Creative had the highest share at 37%
followed by Sony (32%) and Apple (26 %).
• 79% of these respondents owned a MP3
• Of the 504 respondents who owned
portable music devices, 40% of them used their portable music device 1
to 2 hours per day while 28% of the respondents used it for 3-4 hours.
• These 504 respondents were asked to
tick all the relevant options of when they used their portable music
device from a list of given options. 91% of these respondents listened
to their portable music device when traveling while 55% of them listened
when studying or working alone.
• These respondents got their main source
of music by downloading them from the Internet (44%).
• 12% of respondents who owned portable
music devices knew what Podcasting was.
• Out of a total of 371 respondents who
owned digital cameras, Canon held the highest share at 33% followed by
Sony (17%) and Olympus (17%).
• 36% of these 371 respondents used their
digital camera on a weekly basis. They usually used their digital
cameras for casual photo shoots (64%).
• 52% of these respondents used their
cameras to take self-portraits.
• 66% of these respondents posted their
digital photographs on the Internet.
• Out of a total of 147 respondents who
owned portable game consoles, Nintendo held the highest share at 79%
followed by Sony (27%) and Nokia (11%).
• 51% of these respondents spent less
than an hour gaming a day while 33% spent 1-3 hours gaming a day.
• 30% of these respondents played
multi-player games using their portable game consoles.
• The majority of these respondents (44%)
bought new games for their portable gaming consoles on a yearly basis.
• The majority of these respondents (54%)
got the latest information about new games based on recommendations from
• Out of a total of 91 respondents who
owned PDAs, Palm held the highest share at 35% followed by O2 (28%) and
• 40% of respondents¡¯ PDAs came equipped
with phone functions.
• The 3 most widely used functions of
1. Scheduling/Calendar (71%)
2. Email (36%)
3. Note-taking (32%)
• 75% of all the 800 respondents
indicated that they would prefer a converged gadget as opposed to having
different gadgets for different functions.
• Respondents were asked to choose one
item that they would not be able to live without from a list that
included the handphone, PC, TV, portable music device, PDA, portable
game console and digital camera. 78% of all the 800 respondents
indicated that they could not live without their handphone.